[OpenAFS] Re: BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at 0000000000004f62

Jose Manuel dos Santos Calhariz jose.calhariz@tecnico.ulisboa.pt
Wed, 18 Dec 2013 19:47:37 +0000

On 18-12-2013 04:03, Andrew Deason wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 15:02:59 +0000
> Jose Manuel dos Santos Calhariz<jose.calhariz@tecnico.ulisboa.pt>  wrot=
e:

>> I have a virtual machine that since I have upgrade it to Debian wheezy=

>> (v7.0), Linux kernel 3.2, it started to give BUG messages.
>> This machine runs every night, tar commands to do, backups of the file=
>> of AFS.  Usually at the second night I get this BUG messages
>> and some of the running tar stops.
>>
>> The openafs kernel module is the same version previous and after the
>> upgrade.  So this can be a possible incompatibility between
>> kernel 3.2 and openafs 1.6.5., where the kernel 2.6.32 worked fine.
> I'm a little confused; what did you upgrade from? OpenAFS 1.6.5 is not
> in squeeze (even in backports). Do you just mean that you upgraded the
> kernel from 2.6.32 to 3.2, but the machine in general was running
> wheezy? Or were you upgrading from squeeze, but somehow had OpenAFS
> 1.6.5 on it?

I have done a personal backport of OpenAFS 1.6.5 for squeeze.  So the=20
machine was running
squeeze, kernel 2.6.32, for several months without problems. Now is=20
wheezy running openafs-client
1.6.5 from backports and openafs-module-dkms 1.6.5.

> Can you check 'rxdebug<client>  7001 -version' and make sure that the
> version number and 'built' date make sense? It should not be possible
> to be running the old kernel module or anything like that, but just as =
> sanity check...

In the meanwhile I have made an upgrade of the kernel module to 1.6.5.1. =
So
'rxdebug localhost 7001 -version' gives 'AFS version:  OpenAFS=20
1.6.5.1-1-debian built  2013-12-17'

>> [76628.451414] BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at
>> 0000000000004f62
>> [76628.452165] IP: [<ffffffffa037988c>] lock_page+0x13/0x2c [openafs]
> What filesystem are you using for your openafs cache?
>
> If you're using a weird filesystem for that, that might explain this,
> but to try and get more information:

I am using a tmpfs filesystem.

> Could you install the linux-image-*-dbg package for your kernel, and ru=
> 'crash', and then run:
>
> crash>  dis lock_page
>
> and
>
> crash>  dis afs_linux_read_cache
>
> and provide the output? If 'crash' refuses to run, try giving it the
> path to your vmlinux file (this should be included in the -dbg package
> above).

I will do it at first opportunity.

     Jose Calhariz

--=20
--

   Onde t=E1 o pobre, t=E1 o pobrema.  (ouvida durante a entrevista na tv=
 de um pobre durante mais uma inunda=E7=E3o de ver=E3o no Rio de Janeiro.=