[OpenAFS] Re: Rsync-ing a vice* partition

Garance A Drosihn drosih@rpi.edu
Fri, 11 Jan 2013 15:38:45 -0500

On 1/11/13 10:15 AM, Andrew Deason wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 23:02:26 -0500
> Garance A Drosihn<drosih@rpi.edu>  wrote:
>
>> As far as AFS is concerned, would it be safe and reasonable
>> to use rsync to duplicate all files on /vicepa to /nextpa,
>> dismount both partitions, and then mount what was /nextpa
>> as /vicepa?  Or is that playing with fire, such that it'd be
>> much safer to move the AFS volumes via standard AFS commands
>> while AFS is running?
>
> I assume it's not relevant here, but just in case and for the
> archives... this is of course dependant on the fileserver
 > backend. If you happen to have any 'inode' fileservers running
 > (if you're not running a commercial unix, you don't have any),
 > this is not adequate for them.

yes, I should have mentioned that these are all namei-based
fileservers, running on redhat linux.  Using ext3 filesystems,
if I remember right.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn                =     drosih@rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer               or   gad@FreeBSD.org