[OpenAFS] Volume "type" mapping to certain partitions

Jeff Blaine jblaine@kickflop.net
Tue, 15 Jan 2013 14:24:33 -0500

Are people still doing things like mapping user home directory
volumes to certain partitions on certain servers, keeping track
in a database, etc?

What does this buy, assuming all data served from storage comes
from like hardware (speed, capacity, etc)?

We've kept up this practice and I'm not real sure why we bother.
I cannot see any case where it has helped us in any significant
way in the last 15 years (my hire date, this practice was already
in place then) and am looking to decomplexificate our environment
where possible.

Thoughts?