[OpenAFS] Re: bos blockscanner

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Fri, 25 Jan 2013 13:29:54 -0600

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 19:50:41 +0100 (CET)
Thorsten Alteholz <openafs@alteholz.de> wrote:

> the command 'bos help' says something about 'blockscanner' and
> 'unblockscanner'.  This shall start something like
> '/usr/afs/bin/scanner -block'. But I did not find anything about such
> scanner. Can anybody please shed some light on this? Is this a new
> fearture for the future?

No, it is very old. I believe that is there to accommodate installations
with MR-AFS. MR-AFS is for using AFS with HSM systems but is not freely
available or open source or anything; you can google around for what
little information exists about it. I'm not sure if it's still in use.
Those rpcs hard code the commands they run, ugh...

I don't have any familiarity with it, but from what I've seen in the
OpenAFS source, I think the 'scanner' process is something that shuffled
data between disk and tape. Normally it runs continuously or something,
but those commands allow you to temporarily disable or enable
migrations.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net