[OpenAFS] Re: DAFS dasalvager: cannot be running from cron

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Wed, 10 Jul 2013 09:40:46 -0500

On Wed, 10 Jul 2013 12:38:19 +0000
"Brunckhorst, Ralf" <ralf.brunckhorst@hp.com> wrote:

> Is salvaging of volumes needed afterwards in the following scenarios?
>
>  * vos dump -id UNTAG-volume.readonly -time 0 -server SERVER -partition PART | vos restore -server SERVER -partition PART -name TAG-volume -overwrite incremental
>
>  * vos dump -id UNTAG-volume.readonly  -time 0 -server SERVER -partition PART | dump-scan_mp | vos restore -server SERVER -partition PART -name TAG-volume -overwrite full

No, you shouldn't need to do that. (Are you sure you don't mean
"-overwrite full" in the first example, though?) If you need to salvage
after a simple restore, that's probably an issue we need to fix.

> We are using this 'strange' workflow to have a workaround for the
> limit in openafs of having not more than 11 RO-replicas.

It may be easier to use different cells for that (then you can keep the
same volume name, and possibly volume id, though the latter might be
confusing). If you don't want to duplicate the entire contents of the
cell, you can make a cell a kind of "overlay" over an existing cell by
using a feature called "linked cells". I can go further into that if you
want; I just wanted to mention it.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net