[OpenAFS] Re: No buffer space available

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Tue, 23 Jul 2013 14:09:48 -0500

On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 11:40:53 -0500
Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 13:11:17 +0200
> Hans-Werner Paulsen <hans@MPA-Garching.MPG.DE> wrote:
>
> > sometimes creating a file (using different programs) fails with the
> > error message "No buffer space available". This is on amd64_linux26
> > with OpenAFS 1.6.2 (both client and server). Any idea?
>
> I don't see anywhere we'd be generating that error code (ENOBUFS), and
> I can't see how it would show up that way if we got it back from a
> socket or something. Do you have any idea if the machine is under a
> lot of load or memory pressure, or if the directory has a lot of
> entries in it?

Oh, and if you wanted a "next step" involving less guesswork, get an
fstrace dump if you can reproduce the problem. That's something like:

fstrace clear cm
fstrace setlog cmfx -buffers 1024
fstrace sets cm -active
# do something to trigger the error, then:
fstrace dump cm > /tmp/whatever
fstrace sets cm -inactive

Providing that to a developer will let us see a lower level trace of
what's going on, and should say where that error is coming from. But it
can contain some sensitive information like filenames.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net