[OpenAFS] Re: Heimdal KDC bug mentioned in rekeying document

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Fri, 26 Jul 2013 17:26:24 -0400

--e89a8ff24855787f3004e270cb1e

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 5:09 PM, Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net>wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 13:39:22 -0700
> Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> wrote:
>
> > > This plus
> > > [kdc]svc-use-strongest-session-key=true
> >
> > > Works.
> >
> > svc-use-strongest-session-key looks like it still tries to find
> > something in the common subset of supported keys between the client
> > and server, and legacy aklog sends only des-cbc-crc as its supported
> > keys.  So how could this work?  Isn't there still no common subset
> > with a principal that has no DES keys?
>
> That's what Sergio's patch above is supposed to fix, is my understanding
> (not that I've verified it). That is, with that patch in play, the KDC
> can now choose a session key enctype that is not one of the principal
> key enctypes. So, legacy aklog will get a des-cbc-crc session key when
> the service princ has no des-cbc-crc key.
>
> However, my reading of that patch says that the KDC, as a last resort,
> gives the client a session key no matching any principal key enctype.
> This is _not_ the same as the behavior in MIT Kerberos and AD; they only
> do this for the special case of single DES, not for just any enctype. I
> don't know if that's intentional or not, but it is different, and I'm
> not sure if that's desirable.
>
> I couldn't come up with any situation here where it did, but I didn't do an
in-depth check of things.
--
Derrick

--e89a8ff24855787f3004e270cb1e

_quote">On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 5:09 PM, Andrew Deason <span dir=3D"ltr">&l=
t;<a href=3D"mailto:adeason@sinenomine.net" target=3D"_blank">adeason@sinen=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div class=3D"im">On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 13:39:=
22 -0700<br>
Russ Allbery &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:rra@stanford.edu">rra@stanford.edu</a>&g=
t; wrote:<br>
&gt; &gt; This plus<br>
&gt; &gt; [kdc]svc-use-strongest-session-key=3Dtrue<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; Works.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; svc-use-strongest-session-key looks like it still tries to find<br>
&gt; something in the common subset of supported keys between the client<br=

&gt; and server, and legacy aklog sends only des-cbc-crc as its supported<b=
r>
&gt; keys. =A0So how could this work? =A0Isn&#39;t there still no common su=
bset<br>
&gt; with a principal that has no DES keys?<br>
derstanding<br>
(not that I&#39;ve verified it). That is, with that patch in play, the KDC<=
br>
can now choose a session key enctype that is not one of the principal<br>
key enctypes. So, legacy aklog will get a des-cbc-crc session key when<br>
the service princ has no des-cbc-crc key.<br>
However, my reading of that patch says that the KDC, as a last resort,<br>
gives the client a session key no matching any principal key enctype.<br>
This is _not_ the same as the behavior in MIT Kerberos and AD; they only<br=

do this for the special case of single DES, not for just any enctype. I<br>
don&#39;t know if that&#39;s intentional or not, but it is different, and I=
&#39;m<br>
not sure if that&#39;s desirable.<br>