Fwd: Re: [OpenAFS] openafs OSD

Hartmut Reuter reuter@rzg.mpg.de
Mon, 17 Jun 2013 12:38:52 +0200

Sorry this mail should have gone also to the list!

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [OpenAFS] openafs OSD
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 10:27:14 +0200
From: Hartmut Reuter <reuter@rzg.mpg.de>
To: Staffan Hämälä <sh@ltu.se>

Staffan,

as I have told you we are migrating from TSM-HSM to HPSS in order to get rid of
TSM-HSM. Five years ago we had a really bad experience with TSM-HSM running with
GPFS: a so called reconcile job had started in the background and had removed
millions of files from the TSM database. It never really has become clear what
caused this behaviour. We had much work to restore everything from dumps also
because this job ran for two or three days before it was detected, so new files
already migrated to tape were not in the restored database...

in 2007 I wrote an interface to dcache which can not be mounted as a file system
and only can be called by library calls. This same technique I used later when I
wrote the interface to HPSS which also works by calls to a shared library. Today
the rxosd loads a shared interface library when started with the appropriate
parameters which then itself contains the calls to the HPSS shared library. This
generic interface could be used also for other non-mountable archive systems
such as TSM. I was interested three years ago to do that for TSM, but never got
the necessary documentation about the TSM-library and so nothing happened.

A general problem with AFS-OSD is that I am the only person which knows the code
and which feels responsible to keep it running. I am 68 years old and now
retired, but still with good health and willing to work on it, but I think some
one else should start to do this work in order to make this project run longer
than other few years. I myself learnt these lessons 20 years ago when we had got
MR-AFS from PSC (Pittsburgh Supercomputer Center) and half a year later the
whole group of people who had worked on it left PSC. I became willing or not the
only developer of MR-AFS for the next 15 years until I replaced it by AFS-OSD.
There are many sites which principally are interested in AFS-OSD, but do not
deploy it because they don't see a long term support for it. Even my own site
RZG has planned a migration back to standard openafs for the next years unless
some one else appears to take the support over.

Hartmut