[OpenAFS] Re: Change in volume status during vos dump in OpenAFS 1.6.x

Andy Malato andym@oak.njit.edu
Wed, 13 Mar 2013 14:53:16 -0400 (EDT)

! Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 12:22:25 -0500
! From: Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net>
! To: openafs-info@openafs.org
! Subject: [OpenAFS] Re: Change in volume status during vos dump in OpenAFS
!     1.6.x
!
! On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 13:01:32 -0400 (EDT)
! Andy Malato <andym@oak.njit.edu> wrote:
!
! > We recently installed OpenAFS 1.6.2 on one of our fileservers in
! > preparation for migrating the rest of our cell to the latest 1.6.x
! > release.   One of the driving factors behind upgrading to 1.6.x is to
! > support volumes larger than 2TB.
!
! You can have volumes larger than 2TB with 1.4 fileservers (maybe not
! 1.4.5, though). I didn't think the 1.6 series changed anything with
! volume size or quota limitations.

We were of the understanding that there was a 2TB limit on partitions
with 1.4.x which is not the case in 1.6.x.

! > So was this change in behavior from 1.4.x to 1.6.x intentional or are
! > we encountering a bug ?  Perhaps this is being caused by our DB
! > servers still being at 1.4.5 ?
!
! It's certainly not related to what your dbservers are running. This is a
! bug, probably issue 131505, probably fixed by
! <http://gerrit.openafs.org/#change,9499>. If you are in a position to
! try a patch on a "testing" fileserver and see if that fixes it, try
! applying the patch in that gerrit submission, which is here:
! <http://git.openafs.org/?p=openafs.git;a=patch;h=e456f85887841f50a828daea54fd2efb7d33fd07>.
!
! If you're not in a position to be applying patches, I (or someone)
! should be able to reproduce that and try it ourselves. I assumed that
! patch will be going in 1.6.3.

We will attempt to apply the above patch and will report back our
findings.

Thanks.

!
! --