[OpenAFS] Re: Change in volume status during vos dump in OpenAFS 1.6.x

Andy Malato andym@oak.njit.edu
Wed, 13 Mar 2013 15:50:43 -0400 (EDT)

! Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 14:12:40 -0500
! From: Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net>
! To: openafs-info@openafs.org
! Subject: [OpenAFS] Re: Change in volume status during vos dump in OpenAFS
!     1.6.x
!
! On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 14:53:16 -0400 (EDT)
! Andy Malato <andym@oak.njit.edu> wrote:
!
! > We were of the understanding that there was a 2TB limit on partitions
! > with 1.4.x which is not the case in 1.6.x.
!
! There is no such specific limitation. There are some bugs in 1.4 for
! "large" volumes in general, but not around the 2TB mark specifically.
! And there is a problem with space reporting for volumes and partitions
! larger than 2TB, but they still work (except when you try to write to
! them via a modern Windows client).

Can you elaborate on the issue you mention about writing to large
volumes with a modern Windows client ?  Can you define "modern Windows
Client?" Does this include the latest 1.7.x release of the Windows
client ?  From what you say it sounds like these write issues are client
related and not tied to the server version or is that not the case ?
Perhaps these issues are fixed in the 1.6.x server version ?

This is of a concern to us as we have a large number of Windows OpenAFS
clients deployed at our site.

! All of those I consider just plain bugs; while the fixes for many are
! only on 1.6, that's just because there hasn't been a 1.4 release in a
! long time; it's not an architectural limitation that was lifted in 1.6.
! The fixes I'm thinking of would be easy to apply to a 1.4 server.

Are the max partition and volume size for each server and client
version documented anywhere ?  We have attempted to search for this
information but have not found it.

Thanks.

!
! --