[OpenAFS] Run file server without client?

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Mon, 25 Mar 2013 13:18:25 -0700

david l goodrich <dlg@dsrw.org> writes:

> Running your servers without the client is (at the last time I checked)
> recommended.

I don't know that I would go so far as to say recommended.  Not having the
client installed does ensure that you don't have any accidental AFS
dependencies, but as long as you know what you're doing and don't
introduce any, having the AFS client running on the AFS servers is useful
for exactly the same reason that having it running on any other server is
useful.

We have AFS clients on all of our servers, including the AFS servers, and
avoid unintentional dependencies on AFS (for all services) by just being
careful.