[OpenAFS] Re: 1.6.2 compilation notes, Sol10

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Thu, 28 Mar 2013 15:36:59 -0500

On Thu, 28 Mar 2013 13:03:13 -0700
Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> wrote:

> MIT Kerberos definitely requires (or at least required) linking with
> pthreads, since without it you get undefined references to
> pthread_setspecific and the like on platforms without transitive
> shared library dependency closure.  I don't know if Heimdal is
> similar.

That's still fine; we can just assume everything needing -lkrb5 is
threaded. It's not like any users are LWP, so that shouldn't be a
problem. If we strip out any flags adding pthreads from the krb5 probe
logic, and always add our own threading options, it seems like that
should work.

I was just wondering if we could leave out the threading stuff for
things that aren't actually threaded. But if not, that seems okay.

> > I can get this to work, but I assume from your other email you want
> > this in OpenAFS and not rra-c-util.
>
> No, regardless of the underlying issue, the current manual library
> probing for Heimdal libraries in rra-c-util is broken, and I'm happy
> to fix that in rra-c-util by probing for the additional libraries.

Well, are you treating "handle modern heimdal" and "pass enough libs to
aklog to make it work" two different issues?

For just handling heimdal, the rra-c-util krb5 autoconf logic in OpenAFS
1.6.2 seems to work fine for heimdal 1.2.1 (in this thread) and 1.5.3.
If the afsio thing is fixed, the only thing we break on is aklog. And I
thought you were saying that we break on aklog just because we require
the weird extra libraries. So, I assumed you didn't want to handle the
aklog case in rra-c-util, because it's beyond the krb5 api; is that
incorrect?

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net