[OpenAFS] Re: byte-range lock errors

Jaap Winius jwinius@umrk.nl
Sat, 18 May 2013 22:46:28 +0200

Quoting Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net>:

> That doesn't stop you from trying an experimental version of it or
> something, though. If you wanted to try it out, I'm sure Matt can help
> you out. (I don't think I have any of that code, or if I do, I'm sure
> it's very old.)

That doesn't sound like a bad idea.

> [Something in /proc/sys/afs...] would also get cleared on reboot and
> would need to be set again after the afs kernel module is loaded.
> So I'm not sure how much better that is for you.

Indeed. Upon closer inspection, I see that 'fs messages' can simply be
set locally by the root user with no further authentication. With a
simple script that's just as easy to change as some kenel module
setting in /proc/sys/afs. Thus my immediate problem has been solved,
albeit with a rather blunt instrument.

Anyway, if any modifications of 'fs messages' are only going to affect
messages about byte-range locks, then option 2 (sysctl) would be fine.
But if it ends up having more general utility, then go for option 3
(an afsd directive).

Cheers,

Jaap