[OpenAFS] Re: Backup ubik database

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Mon, 20 May 2013 10:54:07 -0400

--089e0141ab7e28007104dd278114

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 10:50 AM, Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net>wro=
te:

> On Mon, 20 May 2013 13:58:13 +0200
> G=E9mes G=E9za <geza@kzsdabas.hu> wrote:
>
> > What is the best way to backup the ubik database of pt and vlservers?
> > Does the server processes need to be shut down?
>
> Currently the only way to safely copy/backup those databases is to copy
> the files while the server processes are either shut down, or stopped
> (with SIGSTOP). You have to copy both the the .DB0 and .DBSYS files (or
> just copy everything in the db directory, which should probably work no
> matter how the databases are changed in the future).
>
> Some people just copy the files while the servers are running, though, I
> think. If your ubik database doesn't change constantly at a high rate,
> and you make several copies, it's very likely you'll save at least one
> valid copy. It's also possible to add a dbserver just for the purposes
> of backing up this data, if you want to go the "safe" route above, but
> don't want to interrupt the dbservers that clients actually use.

If you go this route, you can create a non-voting clone to do it, so
there's actually no
chance of disruption.

--=20
Derrick

--089e0141ab7e28007104dd278114

_quote">On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 10:50 AM, Andrew Deason <span dir=3D"ltr">&=
lt;<a href=3D"mailto:adeason@sinenomine.net" target=3D"_blank">adeason@sine=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">On Mon, 20 May 2013 13:58:13 +0200<br>
G=E9mes G=E9za &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:geza@kzsdabas.hu">geza@kzsdabas.hu</a>=
&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; What is the best way to backup the ubik database of pt and vlservers?<=
br>
&gt; Does the server processes need to be shut down?<br>
Currently the only way to safely copy/backup those databases is to copy<br>
the files while the server processes are either shut down, or stopped<br>
(with SIGSTOP). You have to copy both the the .DB0 and .DBSYS files (or<br>
just copy everything in the db directory, which should probably work no<br>
matter how the databases are changed in the future).<br>
Some people just copy the files while the servers are running, though, I<br=

think. If your ubik database doesn&#39;t change constantly at a high rate,<=
br>
and you make several copies, it&#39;s very likely you&#39;ll save at least =
one<br>
valid copy. It&#39;s also possible to add a dbserver just for the purposes<=
br>
of backing up this data, if you want to go the &quot;safe&quot; route above=
, but<br>
don&#39;t want to interrupt the dbservers that clients actually use.<br>
 non-voting clone to do it, so there&#39;s actually no<br>chance of disrupt=

--089e0141ab7e28007104dd278114--