[OpenAFS] Re: ubik_cp success

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Fri, 24 May 2013 11:06:34 -0500

On Fri, 24 May 2013 06:37:02 +0200
Gémes Géza <geza@kzsdabas.hu> wrote:

> I've successfully built ubik_cp, copied together with libafshcrypto
> and librokenafs to the box I intend to do the backups and it has

I could submit something based on 1.6, if you don't want to have to copy
the additional libraries. I mean, it wouldn't go in a release or
anything until well after it's accepted on master, but the code could be
available that way. (librokenafs/libafshcrypto &co are something that's
new for the "post-1.6" world)

> One question remains, what is the role of prdb.DBSYS1 and vldb.DBSYS1
> files in the same directory as prdb.DB0 and vldb.DB0?

Those are the database journals. When something changes in the database,
the operations are logged to SYS1, then the actual changes are written
to DB0, and then the SYS1 contents are deleted. The SYS1 files should
only have anything in them transiently, as stuff is written to the
database.

For the "manual copying" procedure of backing up those databases, the
journal files are required in case you copy the database as it's being
written to.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net