[OpenAFS] getting (re)started on debian

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk@MIT.EDU
Fri, 24 May 2013 16:56:07 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 24 May 2013, Dave Cottlehuber wrote:

> I'm now on debian wheezy, with assorted macs and windows boxes about,
> and wondered if there are any good guides to getting started both with
> openafs & especially with heimdal again - I assume it's still the
> preferred krb server? Stuff I've found so far is 2006 or earlier,
> likely out of date. The formal docs look good but I'm thinking of
> something that cover debian startup scripts and setting up pam stuff
> etc.

The debian packages come with scripts to help automate setting up a cell
-- /usr/sbin/afs-newcell and /usr/sbin/afs-rootvol from openafs-dbserver.

As far as a KDC goes, Debian's default is the MIT code (disclosure: my
employer).  I expect you'd need to be doing something reasonably unusual
for there to be a reason to pick one of Heimdal and MIT over the other,
other than personal preference.

I'm not sure what pam configuration you want, so I can't say more about
that.

-Ben Kaduk