[OpenAFS] Re: building swig based interfaces

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Tue, 3 Sep 2013 10:10:40 -0500

On Tue, 3 Sep 2013 08:43:55 -0400
chas williams - CONTRACTOR <chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil> wrote:

> Yes, I certainly believe there is an existing base that currently
> prevents any change.  But that doesn't mean we have to keep letting
> this happen.  Creating an admin API library would be nice but not
> doable in the short term, but adding XML output to the commands for
> others that wish to parse output doesn't seem ridiculous.

It doesn't need to be XML; you just need a switch to say the output is
not being read by a human. You could keep exactly the same output format
for that, and you wouldn't need to rewrite all of the parsers.

Not that XML is a bad choice; but it's a lot easier to implement just
--i-am-a-machine even if it does nothing now.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net