[OpenAFS] Re: fileserver process eat CPU

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Wed, 11 Sep 2013 10:10:22 -0500

On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 20:07:46 +0200
Jean-Marc Choulet <jm130794@gmail.com> wrote:

> > For how long does it use 80% cpu?
> Every 10 seconds
> How long : about 10 seconds

Every 10 seconds for 10 seconds? ...is it always using a lot of cpu,
then?

But anyway, if any kind of 10-second-related pattern appears, I assume
it's the sync() thing, and upgrading to squeeze-backports is probably
the easiest way to fix that. If you want to be more sure, run 'strace'
on the fileserver process when you think it's idle. You should see it
appear to hang on sync(). Something like:

strace -f -p <fileserver_pid>

You'll see some other stuff going on, too, probably, even if the server
isn't doing anything useful. But I don't think that version has _too_
much going on when it's idle, so you should be able to just see the
sync() calls by looking at it.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net