[OpenAFS] Questions about multihoming servers

Harald Barth haba@kth.se
Wed, 25 Sep 2013 09:39:13 +0200 (CEST)

Thanks Jeffrey, I think that was a good summary.

>  2. Resiliency to network interface or switch failure

If you want that for your DB servers, you'll have do something like
this:

1. Assign a routed IP adress (/32) to a loopback interface.

2. Make sure that this IP is reachable even if you have the failures
you want to cover with this setup.

3. Configure your server (NetInfo/NetRestrict) to only use that adress.

That will give you redundancy at level 3. I will probably do that as
well for some of my fileservers as I trust OSPF more to do the right
thing than fileserver and cache manager (sorry ;)

Then there are a lot of other ways to give you redundancy at level 2
(which I not facy ;)

Related: I think it would be nice if there would be some caching so
that vos would not need to figure out at every invocation that it can
not reach a particular server. Has anyone already written such code?

Harald.