[OpenAFS] Re: Authentication without aklog

Dave Botsch botsch@cnf.cornell.edu
Fri, 1 Aug 2014 10:55:21 -0400

Well, is anything really transparent for the administrator? Especially
w.r.t. AFS, where the admin has to also configure the ThisCell, the afs
cache size (pre-allocate a cache partition, too, on linux), edit
ThisCell to be reasonable, and set numerous other client options (config
files on mac and linux and "ew" registry on Windows)?

A GUI installer/config doo-hickey would certainly be nice, of course,
for the less tech saavy administrator or the end user trying to install
AFS and needing to configure some of those other options (esp, again, on
non Windows/Mac). I enjoy the cell input dialog and the windows gui
installer. But, for more managed installations, I'm also glad that on
linux they aren't required (just install the rpm and push out some
config files).

W.r.t. PAM, I like the idea of AFS being just another PAM module, versus
some other mechanism that's different from anything else.

Could AFS work like other Kerberos apps with more direct use of kerberos
tickets and just getting the service ticket when needed, versus having
to do something extra (ie aklog)? Dunno. Would be nice, but not
required, IMHO, as long as the user experience is sane.