[OpenAFS] Authentication without aklog

chas williams - CONTRACTOR chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Mon, 4 Aug 2014 07:38:14 -0400

On Fri, 1 Aug 2014 17:35:15 -0500
Troy Benjegerdes <hozer@hozed.org> wrote:

> The problem with AFS seems to be everyone who knows you need to 'kinit ; aklog'
> and it's been so long we have all forgotten the experience of what it was like
> before we realized this.

It has been a while but I believe I was told that you had to run aklog
because you were "logging into the storage".  This made sense at the
time since I couldn't access a remote system without first logging into
it as well.  We weren't big users of NFS at the time and this didn't
seem unusual.

I would hazard that rpc.gssd exists because someone didn't want to
alter the "NFS experience".