[OpenAFS] Re: client behind NAT firewall

Simon Wilkinson simonxwilkinson@gmail.com
Tue, 5 Aug 2014 19:07:27 +0100

> On 5 Aug 2014, at 17:21, Alex <euergetikos.k@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
> yes, what I meant is that I need the client to be aware that some other
> client is editing, (and refresh the cache), which is the function of
> callback if I am not mistaken. As I understand, this is not possible
> behind a NAT firewall which has inbound ports (like 7001) closed.

It is possible. If you can receive data from the fileserver, the fileserver c=
an send you callbacks as the ports are the same for both.

The question is whether the fileserver will be able to continue to send you c=
allbacks once the data channel has gone idle. This very much depends on the s=
ettings in play on the router - you may be able to continue to receive callb=
acks for anything from minutes to the lifetime of the callback.  This is bes=
t verified experimentally, rather than people second guessing your router co=
nfiguration.

Cheers,

Simon