[OpenAFS] freezes acessing /afs/.git

chas williams - CONTRACTOR chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Wed, 6 Aug 2014 10:45:56 -0400

On Wed, 6 Aug 2014 13:47:28 +0000
Brandon Allbery <ballbery@sinenomine.net> wrote:

> I'm not sure how to mitigate this, though. Even if you could add a
> "dummy" AFSDB or SRV record to intercept this lookup, last night I
> tripped over a similar issue when rebooting my Mac:
> http://lpaste.net/108884 (partial trace, it took several minutes to give
> up on querying for both AFSDB and SRV records for many names it
> shouldn't have been trying to look up IMO --- wtf is Finder doing?!)
> Given my normal usage on this machine, I may well just knock down
> -dynroot.

I started working on a patch to 'fix' this issue:

http://gerrit.openafs.org/#change,8011

But as pointed out in the comments, it's too specific and should be a
more general mechanism.  Unfortunately, the preceding '.' is stripped
from names before passing down to afsd for resolution so it wouldn't be
possible to block /afs/.git without also blocking /afs/git

Also, as was pointed out, negative caching would help as well.