[OpenAFS] freezes acessing /afs/.git

chas williams - CONTRACTOR chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Thu, 7 Aug 2014 07:51:20 -0400

On Wed, 06 Aug 2014 21:46:42 +0200
Markus K=C3=B6berl <markus.koeberl@tugraz.at> wrote:

> On Wednesday 06 August 2014 11:51:42 Jeffrey Altman wrote:
> > On 8/6/2014 11:05 AM, Markus K=C3=B6berl wrote:
> > > Should there not be at least one '.' after removing the one from the =
begin included to make sense searching for a SRV record?
> >=20
> > DNS searchlists are used because sites often use the first component as
> > an alias
> >=20
> >   /afs/athena/...
> >=20
> > is the same as
> >=20
> >  /afs/athena.mit.edu/...
>=20
> Just for fun I activated logging of all search queries and started some p=
rograms from /afs in a terminal...
> Used programs: nautilus, dolphin, mc, eclipse, kile, octave, google-chrom=
e, vim, apt-cache, matlab
> lan is my domain in my home network therefore only search for afs3-vlserv=
er._udp.*.lan

Thanks for doing this!

> I am surprised by the queries for the top level domains of Saint Helena (=
.sh), Somalia (.so) and Laos (.la). Also I did not think that the list will=
 be that long.
> I know normally you would not start all this programs for the directory /=
afs. But I am sure that I already have often started mc form /afs and all t=
his libX11 entries are from mc. I just was interested in the outcome and as=
 expected some of the programs where unusable especially eclipse.

After thinking about this, a flat file in user space probably can't
provide sufficient coverage. I think it would need to include some
pattern matching.  That excludes doing this in the kernel.