[OpenAFS] Re: freezes acessing /afs/.git

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Thu, 14 Aug 2014 11:11:29 -0500

On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 10:06:31 +0200
Markus Koeberl <markus.koeberl@tugraz.at> wrote:

> On Thursday 14 August 2014 05:26:36 Andrew Deason wrote:
> > This generally sounds reasonable to me. But I think you want to just
> > require a dot if the name doesn't exist in the csdb at all, so you
> > can just put it in the local csdb if you want to use it, without
> > needing to alias it to a full cell name. (This may have been
> > mentioned earlier, but I don't see it here.) I'd call such an option
> > -afsdb-ndots, which would set the minimum number of dots (like
> > resolv.conf's "option ndots").
>
> This would require changing the format of the CellServDB or did I get
> something wrong?

You can have a csdb entry that just lists a cell and doesn't list
servers for it. Unless there's something else I said that sounded like
changing the format...?

> > A blacklist might help for a vast majority of cases, though. Or of
> > course we could just improve the caching, so only the first lookup is
> > slow... would that be good enough, if done "well"?
>
> A improved caching would be very nice for the bash completion.

What I was trying to get at is "which is _more_ useful"? (Improved
caching, or a blacklist/whitelist.) Or if the answer is "either one
would make me happy", that would be good to know.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net