[OpenAFS] Re: freezes acessing /afs/.git

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Thu, 14 Aug 2014 14:37:07 -0500

On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 18:44:17 +0200
Markus Koeberl <markus.koeberl@tugraz.at> wrote:

> OK I got confused because in the csdb are domains and I was thinking
> of a case where there is no dot included.
> Did you mean something like this:
>
> $ test -d /afs/.git
>
> 1. first look if "git" is in csdb -> no match
> 2. add the search domain and look if it is in the csdb ("git.spsc.tugraz.at", "git.tugraz.at" -> both no match)
> 3. test if there are enough dots ("git" -> no match)
> 4. therefore not query the nameserver

We don't add the domain ourselves; the resolver does that. (iirc, we do
or did allow for unambiguous abbreviations, though, which may be
confusing.) I was thinking:

$ test -d /afs/.git

1. Look up 'git' in csdb -> no match
2. See that 'git' has no dots in it, and fail immediately.

Or if an entry does exist:

$ test -d /afs/.git

1. Look up 'git' in csdb -> match, but no servers
2. Look up _afs3-vlserver._udp.git (no trailing dot) -> success for cell
'git.example.com'.

For an FQDN:

$ test -d /afs/cell.example.com

1. Look up cell.example.com in csdb -> no match
2. See that cell.example.com has a dot in it, so do not fail.
3. Look up _afs3-vlserver._udp.cell.example.com. (trailing dot) -> success

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net