[OpenAFS] Export nfs file system with afs

Voss voss@rubin.physik2.uni-rostock.de
Thu, 11 Dec 2014 16:15:04 +0100 (CET)

---559023410-630072926-1418310904=:5140

Hi Brandon,

thanks for your answer.

On Thu, 11 Dec 2014, Brandon Allbery wrote:

> On Thu, 2014-12-11 at 14:37 +0100, Voss wrote:
>> I set up an afs-server this morning, it works well. The initial goal I had
>> was exporting our /home directory with afs, it is, however, an nfs file
>> system. Is there any possibility to export these directories using afs,
>> without changes to the basic structures?
>
> AFS fileservers use their own filesystem organization; you can't export
> an existing file tree currently. There was at one point a "hostafsd"
> that could do so, at a performance loss, but the code is quite old and
> bitrotted.

So it is as I feared, I was asking because we use zfs with nfs-export to
distribute our /home directories for easy maintainance and backups. Do you
know, whether it is possible to distribute the afs volumes such as:

/vicepa/voss/<>.vol

In this case we might be able to apply the nice backup mechanics of zfs.

Thanks again,
 	Christian