[OpenAFS] Migrating existing data onto vice partition on the fly

Levente Peres otravier@gmail.com
Tue, 30 Dec 2014 10:05:15 +0100

--------------060608020303080500040106

Dear Users,

Thank you for maintaining this list.

I have been using AFS in the past, but never tried this sort of thing
before.

I have terabytes of data that I would like to "convert" into AFS. It
right now exists on a large XFS filesystem.

Shutting down the server, or rather, denying access to the files, even
for a few hours is not really an option, not even during the holidays.

I was thinking about converting this entrie large volume into an AFS
space on-the-fly. Here's what I thought, would it work? Or is there a
better way?

First I would set up the cell and everything, then just run a

vos create -server athlas -partition /vicepa -name root.afs -cell
cellname -noauth

..right on top of the existing partition...

(Now if this sounds extremely stupid please note I never done this
before, just thinking here...)

After that, I'll just locally mount my cell up under /afs/.cellname with
afsclient on the same server.

Set up ACL.

Once that's done, since I have about enough space left to store the data
2 times over, I just get my tokens and just "copy over" the files to the
virtual mount from the large partition, then delete the old data so that
now only the AFS data exists on it. Done.

Does this make sense? Or how would you do it?

Thank you for any ideas.

Levente

--------------060608020303080500040106

  <head>

  </head>
    Dear Users,<br>
    Thank you for maintaining this list.<br>
    I have been using AFS in the past, but never tried this sort of
    thing before.<br>
    I have terabytes of data that I would like to "convert" into AFS. It
    right now exists on a large XFS filesystem.<br>
    Shutting down the server, or rather, denying access to the files,
    even for a few hours is not really an option, not even during the
    holidays.<br>
    I was thinking about converting this entrie large volume into an AFS
    space on-the-fly. Here's what I thought, would it work? Or is there
    a better way?<br>
    First I would set up the cell and everything, then just run a <br>
    vos create -server athlas -partition /vicepa -name root.afs -cell
    cellname -noauth<br>
    ..right on top of the existing partition...<br>
    (Now if this sounds extremely stupid please note I never done this
    before, just thinking here...)<br>
    After that, I'll just locally mount my cell up under /afs/.cellname
    with afsclient on the same server.<br>
    Set up ACL.<br>
    Once that's done, since I have about enough space left to store the
    data 2 times over, I just get my tokens and just "copy over" the
    files to the virtual mount from the large partition, then delete the
    old data so that now only the AFS data exists on it. Done.<br>
    Does this make sense? Or how would you do it?<br>
    Thank you for any ideas.<br>
    Levente<br>

--------------060608020303080500040106--