[OpenAFS] Linux OpenAFS & EncFS?

Russ Allbery eagle@eyrie.org
Mon, 17 Feb 2014 16:07:08 -0800

Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu> writes:
> On Mon, 2014-02-17 at 13:11 -0600, Troy Benjegerdes wrote:

>> So $10k for design, and $100k for implementation sufficient to protect
>> a small business's data worth between $250k, and $1M.

> No, that's not what Jeff said.  What he said was that doing the design
> and analysis work required to come up with an estimate could cost $10k.
> I happen to think that's a bit high, but then, I'm not volunteering to
> do it.

Generating these sorts of numbers are all about what assumptions you want
to make, but if you assume 50% overhead from whatever organization has to
do the work to write the contract, deal with all the legal issues, route
the money to people, maintain office space or benefits or whatnot, and so
forth, and then figure you want three people thinking hard about this and
those people make around $75 an hour, $10K pays for about 20 hours for
each of those three people.

That's not out of the realm of possibility.  We've collectively spent far
more than that on the rxgk specification, although I suspect much of that
time was uncompensated or written off as some variety of overhead by a lot
of different institutions.

--
Russ Allbery (eagle@eyrie.org)              <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>