[OpenAFS] Linux OpenAFS & EncFS?

hays bil_hays@unc.edu
Mon, 17 Feb 2014 13:10:26 -0500

openafs-info-request@openafs.org wrote:
> Am Montag 17 Februar 2014, 14:05:23 schrieb Lars Schimmer:
>> > Or does anyone has another idea on howto encrypt a directory in OpenA=
> FS
>> > on client system without any further interaction?
>
> What about Truecrypt? Has the advantage of being platform-independent.
>
> Bye...

Truecrypt is good, but it creates a monolithic container, and that
impacts backups. Encfs encrypts files and folders, so that works well
for folders that are synced.

Lars, FWIW, I just did a brief test--I created an crypt store in my afs
home dir, and then used encfs to mount that to a directory on my
workstation. That seems to work just fine. I think you'd want to do it
this way--you want to be careful where you mount encrypted volumes since
you don't want the mount point where things are non-encrypted accessible
to backup systems not under your control.
bil

--
bil hays