[OpenAFS] OSX, unicode filenames, finder

Mattias Pantzare pantzer@ludd.ltu.se
Mon, 6 Jan 2014 17:50:43 +0100

--047d7ba96cf48b109704ef500fab

I use terminal :-)

I am working on a real fix for this (the client should convert between NFC
and NFD), the send me an e-mail to my work adress
mattias.pantzare@ltu.seif you are interested in testing.

On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 11:31 PM, Christian <chanlists@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> while trying to help our OSX users, I have come across the following issue:
>
> When a filename created under linux or windows contains letters with
> diacritics (German, in my case), the finder will briefly display
> something and then show the entire folder as empty. From the shell,
> everything works OK. I understand that this must be due to the Unicode
> NFC vs. NFD issue with the finder mentioned e. g. in the windows client
> release notes:
>

> http://www.openafs.org/dl/openafs/1.7.28/winxp/ReleaseNotes/html/index.html#chap_3.html#d6e125
>
> How do other people deal with this? I am not a MacOS expert in any way,
> but I thought about recommending some other file manager to my users, so
> they can at least rename files with diacritics to the "ue", "oe", "ae"
> or whatever form and then access them... Can anybody recommend an
> alternative filemanager or some other workaround?
>
> Any help is appreciated... Happy new year 2014,
>
> Christian

--047d7ba96cf48b109704ef500fab

real fix for this (the client should convert between NFC and NFD), the send=
 me an e-mail to my work adress <a href=3D"mailto:mattias.pantzare@ltu.se">=
mattias.pantzare@ltu.se</a> if you are interested in testing.=A0</div>
14 at 11:31 PM, Christian <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:chanlists=
@googlemail.com" target=3D"_blank">chanlists@googlemail.com</a>&gt;</span> =
wrote:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Dear all,<br>
while trying to help our OSX users, I have come across the following issue:=
When a filename created under linux or windows contains letters with<br>
diacritics (German, in my case), the finder will briefly display<br>
something and then show the entire folder as empty. From the shell,<br>
everything works OK. I understand that this must be due to the Unicode<br>
NFC vs. NFD issue with the finder mentioned e. g. in the windows client<br>
release notes:<br>
/index.html#chap_3.html#d6e125" target=3D"_blank">http://www.openafs.org/dl=
/openafs/1.7.28/winxp/ReleaseNotes/html/index.html#chap_3.html#d6e125</a><b=
r>

How do other people deal with this? I am not a MacOS expert in any way,<br>
but I thought about recommending some other file manager to my users, so<br=

they can at least rename files with diacritics to the &quot;ue&quot;, &quot=
;oe&quot;, &quot;ae&quot;<br>
or whatever form and then access them... Can anybody recommend an<br>
alternative filemanager or some other workaround?<br>
Any help is appreciated... Happy new year 2014,<br>
Christian<br>