[OpenAFS] Re: error: Failed dependencies

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Mon, 6 Jan 2014 15:19:09 -0600

On Mon, 6 Jan 2014 15:19:13 -0500
predragp@andrew.cmu.edu wrote:

> [root@loco init.d]# rpm -Uhv
> http://dl.openafs.org/dl/openafs/1.6.5/rhel6/x86_64/kmod-openafs-1.6.5-1.2.6.32_431.1.2.0.1.el6.x86_64.rpm

This is for kernel 2.6.32-431.1.2.0.1.el6. You have 2.6.32-431.1.2.el6.
So yeah, that's not going to work.

Generally, you should be using 'yum install foo' to install stuff; if
you're using bare rpm commands, it suggests you're doing something wrong
(or at least not in the most "out of the box" supported way). Do you
know where you got the packages for openafs-client &co? Did you download
rpms from openafs.org manually, or did you use the openafs.org
repository or another repository or...

But probably the easiest way to get things running is to ignore the
prebuilt kmod-* packages and just use DKMS, which compiles the module
locally automatically when you install a new kernel. If you have
repositories and stuff set up correctly, you should be able to just 'yum
install dkms-openafs'. I'm not really familiar with Springdale Linux,
but I assume it's similar enough to CentOS/ScientificLinux.

> To add an insult to injury trying to compile from sources

You probably just don't have the correct devel packages installed.
Installing dkms-openafs should ensure you have enough to build the
kernel module.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net