[OpenAFS] Re: Extract files from /vicepa

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Fri, 17 Jan 2014 10:45:56 -0600

On Fri, 17 Jan 2014 11:05:33 +0000
Germán Ferrari <german.ferrari@gmail.com> wrote:

> If I understood correctly, the easiest way to restore the files is to
> setup another afs server and "just" overwrite the /vicepa folder with
> the one I have. Is this correct?

There is at least one other way to extract the data, without needing to
set up a server. You can use the 'voldump' utility to construct a volume
dump from the /vicepa data, and you can use afsdump_extract to convert
the volume dump to a tree of actual files. You'll still probably need a
unixy machine for this, though.

'voldump' is a part of openafs, and you should get it with the openafs
packages for your platform. See
<http://docs.openafs.org/Reference/8/voldump.html>

'afsdump_extract' is part of "dumpscan". You can either use the copy of
dumpscan that's in the OpenAFS tree, or you can get it from here:
<http://grand.central.org/dl/software/dumpscan/>, or there's also a tree
with a few fixes that have been collected here:
<https://github.com/openafs-contrib/cmu-dumpscan/tree/fixes>

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net