[OpenAFS] Extract files from /vicepa

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Fri, 17 Jan 2014 13:35:28 -0500

On Fri, 2014-01-17 at 16:52 +0100, Stephan Wiesand wrote:
> On 2014-01-17, at 16:43, Coy Hile <coy.hile@coyhile.com> wrote:
>=20
> >=20
> >>=20
> >> I have a perl script from 2005 that could do this - but only for pur=
e r/w volumes. If there's a backup or readonly clone on the same partitio=
n, it will probably fail miserably. It's not polished, may have to be ada=
pted to current perl versions etc. And I think it recovered nothing but t=
he file content and the path, not mode/owner/ACLs...
> >>=20
> >> Setting up a server is certainly the better option and may well be e=
asier and faster. But if you're desperate enough, let me know.
> >=20
> > along not completely dissimilar lines=E2=80=A6
> >=20
> > I=E2=80=99ve currently got a bunch of old data (couple hundred gigs m=
aybe) from vos dump that I=E2=80=99d like to be able to examine to see ex=
actly what=E2=80=99s there anymore. Right now, my personal cell lives on =
a couple VMs out in various public clouds, and I haven=E2=80=99t got arou=
nd to standing up a fileserver inside the firewall yet.
> >=20
> > is there a tool (preferably stand-alone) that I could run on those ol=
d dumps to copy the data out of them into a local directory on, say, my m=
ac.  Then I can copy whatever of it I want to keep back into AFS later.
>=20
> afsdump_scan and afsdump_extract are part of the OpenAFS source tree
> but not built by default. They build fine (there are make targets for
> them) and basically work. There's an improved version by jhutz in
> /afs/grand.central.org/software/dumpscan/dumpscan-1.2.tar.gz that was
> more difficult to build IIRC.

The versions in the openafs source are ancient copies that were put
there as part of an effort to develop a test suite.  They are not up to
date and contain some significant bugs.  I asked Derrick at the time not
to fork this, but he chose to do so anyway.

The latest released version is 1.2, but I more or less have enough
changes to do a 1.3 release, including a couple of bug fixes, a couple
of new features, and somewhat better ability to build against newer
OpenAFS.  The build system is not terribly polished, but the tools do
work.  A CVS repository can be found in
/afs/cs.cmu.edu/project/systems-jhutz/Repository in the 'dumpscan'
module.

I suppose if sufficiently prodded, I could probably be convinced to
convert this to git, post it someplace more easily accessible, and do a
release.

-- Jeff