[OpenAFS] Re: DB servers "quorum" and OpenAFS tools

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Fri, 24 Jan 2014 09:47:38 -0600

On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 21:55:15 +0000
pg@afs.list.sabi.co.UK (Peter Grandi) wrote:

> > Otherwise, when your network becomes congested, the
> > retransmission of dropped packets will act as a runaway positive
> > feedback loop, making the congestion worse and saturating the
> > network.
>
> I am sorry I have not been clear about the topic: I was not
> meaning to discussing flow control is back-to-back streaming
> connections, my concern was about the frequency of *probing*
> servers for accessibility.

That's the only way we have to probe if a server is up; by creating a
streaming connection and issuing an RPC. How else do you propose we
contact a server?

Those retransmissions that jhutz is talking about is for a single probe
request. We can possibly run those probes in parallel, which is getting
discussed a bit in another part of the thread, but that still involves
going through this process.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net