[OpenAFS] Error opening files on AFS in MacOSX

Jan Pospíšil honik@kma.zcu.cz
Fri, 31 Jan 2014 12:24:14 +0100

On 28.01.14 2:51, Duncan S Kincaid wrote:

> There are two possible workarounds: (1) Copy the file to the local
> hard drive of the computer before opening it. (2) Delete the
> attribute marking the file as being a download, by entering the
> command xattr -d com.apple.quarantine <path> where <path> must be
> replaced by the path of the affected file. If the file is actually a
> bundle (e.g. an application), use xattr -d -r com.apple.quarantine
> <path>."

Hello Duncan

Indeed, you are right. If the problematic file is for example file.pdf,
located somewhere on AFS, one can check if there is also the attribute
file ._file.pdf and if yes, it can contain com.apple.quarantine
attribute, for example

$ xattr -l file.pdf
com.apple.quarantine: 0001;52eb7dfb;Thunderbird.app;

If we do not need the extended attributes at all, the file ._file.pdf
can be either removed or the problematic attribute can be removed using the

$ xattr -d com.apple.quarantine file.pdf

Last note: once the file.pdf is first located on a local filesystem,
then for example copied or moved to AFS, the attribute
com.apple.quarantine can have higher values, for example

$ xattr -l file.pdf
com.apple.quarantine: 0043;52eb84fc;Thunderbird.app;

and the file then opens without problems also from AFS.

By the way do you know what is the status of supporting extended
attributes in OpenAFS as stated in the roadmap under AFSv3 protocol
feature enhancements?

Regards
Jan

--
Jan Pospisil, Ph.D.           e-mail: honik@kma.zcu.cz
University of West Bohemia    phone:  (+420) 37763-2675