[OpenAFS] Re: OpenAFS and windows/unix versioning

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Wed, 7 May 2014 10:36:39 -0500

On Wed, 7 May 2014 11:04:23 -0400
Dave Botsch <botsch@cnf.cornell.edu> wrote:

> That might be true, however, things like single DES going away (sort of)
> as I understand it can break things with older clients.

Yes, but that would be a matter of configuration in the cell. For at
least the forseeable future, the version of OpenAFS alone is not going
to cause incompatibilities. They all _can_ be compatible with each
other.

I can see the argument that a version number should indicate when it's
_possible_ to turn off access from older clients; that will probably
sort-of happen anyway with 2.0 with rxgk. Even with that, though, it's
just the authentication mechanism; the core access RPCs are still
compatible.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net