[OpenAFS] Re: RPC service unavailable, windows client, udebug works

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Wed, 5 Nov 2014 10:43:12 -0600

On Tue, 04 Nov 2014 16:05:24 +0100
Christian <chanlists@googlemail.com> wrote:

> on some of our windows clients (win7 enterprise x64, openafs 1.7.31), we
> are seeing issues where if I try to access a volume on a given server,
> it gives me "RPC service unavailable". This only happens for one of our
> two file and db servers, which are both almost identical (the first one
> has in fact been cloned from the second one). Servers run openafs
> 1.6.9-1~bpo7 from wheezy-backports on debian wheezy. While that is
> happening, "fs checkservers" reports that particular server as being
> down.

Does syslog report the server coming back up later, if you don't try to
access anything?

> udebug <server> 7003 works, though, and I can ping that server or
> ssh to it just fine. Should I post trace logs and udebug output for
> people to look at, or what is the appropriate way to debug this? Thanks
> a lot,

It's much more likely that you're failing to contact the fileserver
(port 7000), not the vlserver (port 7003). You can check basic
connectivity for that with 'rxdebug <server> 7000 -version'.

But that will probably just succeed and won't tell you anything. What
would really tell you what's happening is if you could capture AFS
traffic (udp port 7000) close to the client, and close to the server (at
least, 'before' and 'after' the openvpn link). If Jeff's suggestion is
what is happening, you'll see packets that appear to be sent on the
server side, but will not appear on the client side. Specifically, you'd
see packets over a certain size not appear on the client side.

You can either look at the dump yourself in wireshark or something, or
provide it for one of us to look at. But you don't really need to know
anything about AFS to do the above analysis; just see if larger packets
appear in one dump but not the other.

If you determine that what Jeff mentioned is what's happening, and you
can't fix or alter the thing that's dropping packets, you might be able
to change a setting in the Windows client to reduce the max size of
packets that we use (RxMaxMTU). Or change the MTU on the local
interface; I don't recall what the specifics are of changing this on
Windows.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net