[OpenAFS] backup strategy

Atro Tossavainen openafs@atrotossavainen.fi
Wed, 12 Nov 2014 12:35:36 +0200

On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 11:18:54AM +0100, Harald Barth wrote:

> Do you have an existing backup system (for example for other stuff
> than AFS) and are you allowed to put data into that? In that case,
> what kind of system do you have?

I used to do the same you are doing with Legato NetWorker at my previous
employer, with the help of Nathan Rawling's wrapper scripts.

> which makes "files" in TSM which in effect are volume dumps.

Yup.

Having a dedupe disk as primary backup mechanism, such as Data Domain,
is great with such an arrangement; most of the volume dumps of a volume
over successive days are close to identical with one another, of course,
so you end up actually storing very little new content.  Of course you
still have to take all the time to actually produce the dumps from AFS,
and with NetWorker, it was (it probably still is) impossible to save
from a pipe, requiring the use of temporary disk for the purpose.

--
Atro Tossavainen, Chairman of the Board
Infinite Mho Oy, Helsinki, Finland