[OpenAFS] Re: backup strategy

Anders Magnusson ragge@ltu.se
Tue, 25 Nov 2014 22:16:08 +0100

--------------000504000609000000070606

Mattias Pantzare skrev den 2014-11-25 21:58:

> On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 9:19 PM, Kristen J. Webb <kwebb@teradactyl.com
> <mailto:kwebb@teradactyl.com>> wrote:
>
>     I also took a look at the tsmafs module and had a couple technical
>     questions about how it works.
>
>         1. What happens when you rename a directory (either a volume
>     name or within a volume)?  Does the entire directory need to get
>     backed up again?
>

> The entire directory/volume will be backed up again. But you can
> change where the volume is mounted.
Hm,  the volume id is saved and used when checking if volume needs
backup, so it will probably be simple to check if it needs renaming.
Just haven't thought of it :-)

>         2. While the use of hard links is limited in AFS, will tsmafs
>     preserve those links on restore?
>

> No. We currently use the normal TSM commands to restore files and
> those knows nothing about AFS, so I don't think so. I have not checked
> if we store metadata to be able to do that if we write a dedicated
> client.
Everything else is stored except for the hard link info (which would be
easy to add).  Hm, I think I just didn't think about that when I wrote
tsmafs :-)

If you use tarestore you should get everything except hard links on restore.

-- Ragge

--------------000504000609000000070606

  <head>
  </head>
    Mattias Pantzare skrev den 2014-11-25 21:58:<br>
cite="mid:CAKdkudt88yqd+mKCM3yYPOdfcptJgnnuiFEYKCwF3iavXPvWPw@mail.gmail.com"
      type="cite">
            Kristen J. Webb <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a
                moz-do-not-send="true"
                href="mailto:kwebb@teradactyl.com" target="_blank">kwebb@teradactyl.com</a>&gt;</span>
            wrote:<br>
              .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">I also
              took a look at the tsmafs module and had a couple
              technical questions about how it works.<br>
                  1. What happens when you rename a directory (either a
              volume name or within a volume)?  Does the entire
              directory need to get backed up again?<br>
              But you can change where the volume is mounted.</div>
    Hm,  the volume id is saved and used when checking if volume needs
    backup, so it will probably be simple to check if it needs renaming.<br>
    Just haven't thought of it :-)<br>
cite="mid:CAKdkudt88yqd+mKCM3yYPOdfcptJgnnuiFEYKCwF3iavXPvWPw@mail.gmail.com"
      type="cite">
              .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><br>
                  2. While the use of hard links is limited in AFS, will
              tsmafs preserve those links on restore?<br>
              files and those knows nothing about AFS, so I don't think
              so. I have not checked if we store metadata to be able to
              do that if we write a dedicated client. </div>
    Everything else is stored except for the hard link info (which would
    be easy to add).  Hm, I think I just didn't think about that when I
    wrote tsmafs :-)<br>
    If you use tarestore you should get everything except hard links on
    restore.<br>
    -- Ragge<br>

--------------000504000609000000070606--