[OpenAFS] Re: Minor question on moving AFS db servers

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk@MIT.EDU
Thu, 30 Oct 2014 14:48:05 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 30 Oct 2014, Harald Barth wrote:

> > I just mention this because I don't think there's any way to avoid this
> > one. Other userspace "clients" will not notice because they are
> > short-lived processes, but anything that's long running, we don't have a
> > way to notify of CellServDB changes.
>
> The usespace clients could leave "hints" (for example in a file) that
> a cell has a bad DB server and then future userspace clients could do
> something "intelligent" with the hints.

That seems like a fine fit for the "new configuration format" project
which has been floated periodically.  It's not going to happen without
someone doing the work, though...

-Ben