[OpenAFS] Re: AFS Perl Modules and Ubuntu

Russ Allbery eagle@eyrie.org
Fri, 05 Sep 2014 17:50:01 -0700

Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@MIT.EDU> writes:

> I have a vague recollection that the AFS perl modules only worked with
> openafs 1.4, but have nothing to support that at hand.  Maybe someone
> else has a better memory than me...

That's correct.  That's also why they're not in Debian and Ubuntu.  They
were broken by a combination of Perl switching to natively multithreading
and some really ugly hacks that linked LWP code with pthread code no
longer working around the 1.6 time frame.

Even if you manage to get the modules to build, they'll just randomly
segfault.  At Stanford, we rewrote all the software that used them to
parse command-line output instead.

They should work again once OpenAFS is 100% pthreads, but as long as they
require linking LWP code and pthread code together, they're probably not
going to work.

--
Russ Allbery (eagle@eyrie.org)              <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>