[OpenAFS] Odd error on 'vos move'

Garance A Drosehn drosih@rpi.edu
Wed, 09 Dec 2015 13:55:34 -0500

On 7 Dec 2015, at 15:52, Brandon Allbery wrote:

> That looks like pretty much textbook token expiration in mid-volume
> copy, yes. You will need to "vos unlock" the original volume and
> possibly "vos endtrans" on the server (warning, this ends *all* active
> transactions! Might be better to wait 10-15 minutes for it to time
> out).
>
> It shouldn't be necessary to do anything about the destination unless
> you decided not to do the move after all; it should reuse the
> incomplete volume.

My original idea was to vos-remove the incomplete copy from the
destination *before* unlocking the volume, but AFS didn't like that
idea.

So I vos-unlocked the volume, waited a little while (just because
something else interrupted me at work), and then redid the vos-move
command.  I did not try to delete the off-line copy of the volume which
was sitting on the destination before doing the vos-move.  Everything
seems to have worked fine.  Thanks!

FWIW, this is how the operation looked:

  time /usr/sbin/vos move -id <_details_>  -verbose -localauth
   Starting transaction on source volume <__old__> ... done
   Allocating new volume id for clone of volume <__old__> ... done
   Cloning source volume <__old__> ... done
   Ending the transaction on the source volume <__old__> ... done
   Starting transaction on the cloned volume <_clone_> ... done
   Setting flags on cloned volume <_clone_> ... done
   Getting status of cloned volume <_clone_> ... done
   Deleting pre-existing destination volume <__old__> ... done
   Creating the destination volume <__old__> ... done
   Setting volume flags on destination volume <__old__> ... done
   Dumping from clone <_clone_> on source to volume <__old__> on
destination ... done
   Ending transaction on cloned volume <_clone_> ... done
   Starting transaction on source volume <__old__> ... done
   Doing the incremental dump from source to destination for volume
<__old__> ...  done
   Setting volume flags on old source volume <__old__> ... done
   Setting volume flags on new source volume <__old__> ... done
   Ending transaction on destination volume <__old__> ... done
   Releasing lock on VLDB entry for volume <__old__> ... done
   Setting forwarding pointer for volume <__old__> ... done
   Deleting old volume <__old__> on source ... done
   Ending transaction on old volume <__old__> on the source ... done
   Deleting source backup volume <_oldBK_> ... done
   Deleting cloned volume <_clone_> ... done
   Volume <__old__> moved from <detail> to <detail>
  real	56m1.546s

I then created a new vos-backup, and everything looks fine.  And now I'm
11 gigabytes closer to retiring our older file servers!  One slightly
odd thing is that the 11 gigabytes did not disappear from "Used" disk
space on the old server until hours later.  But it did eventually
disappear, so I'm all set.

Thanks again.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn                =     drosih@rpi.edu