[OpenAFS] Metrics on the cell

Richard Brittain Richard.Brittain@dartmouth.edu
Mon, 16 Mar 2015 12:41:21 -0400

On Mon, 16 Mar 2015, Devine, Steve wrote:

> I have been asked by senior leadership to gather data on the usage of
> our cell. I can of course tell them how much disc space is in use and
> parse logs from our filedrawers and FTP service, what I am struggling
> with is determining access via native OpenAFS Windows, Mac and Linux
> clients. I've been experimenting with Scout and Afsmonitor but haven't
> been able to find a definitive solution. It seems like years ago I
> investigated logging at the fileserver level and discovered that logging
> for usage wasn't possible.
>
> Has anyone found a way to gather these kind of stats? Thanks for your help.

The authentication logs can be mined for stats on unique users logging in
from the clients that you don't control.  That gives a metric on active
users.  The format of the logs isn't pretty though.

We keep various metrics gathered by our daily backup scripts, somewhat
easier than polling.  The most useful over the years have been:
- total size of incremental dumps sent to our NetBackup system (all
   volumes except our really big ones)
- used space in /vicep* (from df)
- total space in /vicep* (from df)
- number of user home volumes
- number of research data volumes
- total of all volume quotas

After a few years of keeping these stats, you can make pretty plots
showing growth of the cell, which seem to be popular with management.

Our large data volumes are usually replicated, and I'd love to have a way
to tell how much they change each day, as a measure of activity, but all
I've managed to do is measure the time needed to 'vos release'

  Richard

--
Richard Brittain,  Research Computing Group,
                    IT Services, 37 Dewey Field Road, HB6219