[OpenAFS] Metrics on the cell

Devine, Steve sd@msu.edu
Mon, 16 Mar 2015 18:13:20 +0000

Sadly, they are collecting stats in preparation of closing our AFS cell dow=
n. They are trying to determine the impact that shutting down our cell will=
 have on the community. =0A=
How many users use our Cell? They are not really concerned about the amount=
 of disc space that is in use. Thing is this cell has been in place for so =
long it's hard to determine how deeply this will affect us. =0A=
=0A=
/sd=0A=
=0A=
Steve Devine=0A=
IT Services - Content and Collaboration=0A=
=0A=
________________________________________=0A=
From: Jeffrey Altman [jaltman@your-file-system.com]=0A=
Sent: Monday, March 16, 2015 1:48 PM=0A=
To: Devine, Steve=0A=
Cc: openafs-info@openafs.org=0A=
Subject: Re: [OpenAFS] Metrics on the cell=0A=
=0A=
Steve,=0A=
=0A=
Could you clarify which statistics you are looking to collect?=0A=
=0A=
Is the question "how many users are accessing the cell from OSX, Windows, L=
inux, iOS, etc via native clients?"=0A=
=0A=
Or is the question, "how many files or how much data is accessed from these=
 same client platforms?"=0A=
=0A=
To core problem you will face trying to collect numbers such as these is th=
at the type of client is agnostic to the servers.  One site that I am aware=
 of explicitly assigned alternate port numbers to different OS versions so =
they could be counted by rx debug queries to the file and vl servers.  This=
 approach failed when the clients were accessing the servers behind NATs.=
=0A=
=0A=
 A related question is often "how can I find all of the clients running a v=
ersion of OpenAFS older than x.y.z?"  This data is not available but is eas=
ier to obtain by modifying the servers to probe the client version on each =
new connection.=0A=
=0A=
There are some differences in the access patterns between the client platfo=
rms that can be used if you are collecting the audit log data from the file=
 and vl servers.=0A=
=0A=
Only windows clients use rxkad authenticated connections for accessing the =
VL servers.=0A=
=0A=
Only windows clients issue get volume info queries to the file servers to o=
btain free space and quota details on a regular basis.=0A=
=0A=
Windows clients include the directory FID as the first entry in every bulk =
status query to the file servers.=0A=
=0A=
OS X clients never issue bulk status queries.=0A=
=0A=
Hope this helpful.=0A=
=0A=
Jeffrey Altman=0A=
Your File System Inc=0A=
=0A=
> On Mar 16, 2015, at 5:11 AM, Devine, Steve <sd@msu.edu> wrote:=0A=
>=0A=
> I have been asked by senior leadership to gather data on the usage of our=
 cell. I can of course tell them how much disc space is in use and parse lo=
gs from our filedrawers and FTP service, what I am struggling with is deter=
mining access via native OpenAFS Windows, Mac and Linux clients. I've been =
experimenting with Scout and Afsmonitor but haven't been able to find a def=
initive solution. It seems like years ago I investigated logging at the fil=
eserver level and discovered that logging for usage wasn't possible.=0A=