[OpenAFS] Special Characters in "fs setvol -offlinemsg"

Oliver Ricken ricken@physik.uni-bonn.de
Tue, 17 Mar 2015 11:50:14 +0100

Dear all,
I am trying to append information to a Volume's Header by issuing "fs
setvol -path <path> -offlinemsg 'message I want to leave' ". However,
this works --  at least so far -- only for single-word strings like
'fubar'. No special characters like '/', '.' or even a space are
accepted. Everytime I try something like 'This is a test message' using
spaces, I receive the default error message "Server or Network not
responding".
Is there a limitation not only to the number of signs I can use but also
to the type? Do you have any suggestions how to solve this issue?
Thanks a lot in advance!
Best regards,
Oliver

--
Oliver Ricken
Physikalisches Institut, Universitaet Bonn