[OpenAFS] containers / AFS / Ubuntu - stopped working

Neil Davies semanticphilosopher@gmail.com
Sun, 29 Nov 2015 10:20:52 +0000

Chas

This sounds like a plan!

I've got a few things to do first thing today, but I'll try and get =
round to putting up an appropriate test system and trying this later =
today.

Neil

On 28 Nov 2015, at 22:44, Charles (Chas) Williams <3chas3@gmail.com> =
wrote:

> Strangely, I don't see a reason for this file to opened read/write by
> the OpenAFS utilities.  We only use ioctl() and I believe that only
> needs O_RDONLY.  Change src/sys/glue.c to be O_RDONLY instead of =
O_RDWR
> when it opens PROC_SYSCALL_FNAME.
>=20
> I don't happen to have a test system right now, or I would check it
> myself.
>=20
> On Sat, 2015-11-28 at 21:19 +0000, Neil Davies wrote:
>> I can confirm that this sis the problem
>>=20
>> There was a change in docker 1.2.1 (a CVE related fix) that now =
forces /proc/fs to be mounted read-only
>>=20
>> use of the --privileged  argument to docker run does allow openafs to =
run ok, but only at the cost of loosing
>> all of the container isolation!
>>=20
>> I spent some time trying to work out how to _just_ permit read-write =
access to the appropriate portion of=20
>> the /proc/fs filestore, but not cracked it.=20
>>=20
>> It is potentially possible to mount the host's /proc/fs/openafs under =
a different name (with read-write access)
>> within the container - but that would imply a change to the openafs =
building process....
>>=20
>> Obviously I could modify the docker sources, submit a patch etc..=20
>>=20
>> Any suggestions? I'm just wondering if there is any other bits of =
functionality that the docker folks might have=20
>> broken this way - looking to see if there we, as a community, are not =
alone here.
>>=20
>> Neil
>>=20
>> On 27 Nov 2015, at 19:06, Charles (Chas) Williams <3chas3@gmail.com> =
wrote:
>>=20
push tokens into the kernel - it gives a pioctl.
>>>=20
>>> Is there any chance you can run an strace on this?
>>>=20
>>> I believe that /proc was changed to read-only at some point for =
docker
>>> containers.  OpenAFS tries to open /proc/fs/openafs/afs_ioctl =
read/write