[OpenAFS] Setting affinity for fileservers on afs-clients

brandon s allbery kf8nh ballbery@sinenomine.net
Sun, 25 Oct 2015 21:43:53 -0400

------VDRGRNI77RGBO3J0U85284C269CBUB

Take a look at "fs setserverprefs"=2E

On October 25, 2015 9:38:32 PM EDT, Garance A Drosehn <drosih@rpi=2Eedu> w=
rote:
>We have some AFS volumes which hold data for various web servers on
>campus=2E  These volumes are replicated on multiple file servers,
>because that's an intelligent thing to do with important data=2E
>
>We also have multiple web servers, because it's also intelligent to
>split the web-serving load across machines, and to have redundancy
>in our web servers=2E
>
>All of these are virtual machines on various VMware hypervisors=2E
>While doing some benchmarks on new AFS file servers, I noticed that
>AFS data is transferred much faster if the afs client machine is on
>the same hypervisor as the afs file server that it's contacting=2E
>
>Is there some way to encourage this to happen on our web servers?
>If the important AFS data is replicated on both afsfs1 (on vmhyper1)
>and afsfs2 (on vmhyper2), can we have a web-server on vmhyper1
>prefer afsfs1 instead of afsfs2?  I'd want it to still use afsfs2
>if it can't reach afsfs1 (for the case where vmhyper1 is fine, but
>afsfs1 is being rebooted for some reason)=2E
>
>Nothing urgent here=2E  Just wondering=2E
>
>--=20
>Garance Alistair Drosehn                =3D     drosih@rpi=2Eedu
>Senior Systems Programmer               or   gad@FreeBSD=2Eorg
>Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute;             Troy, NY;  USA

--=20
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail=2E Please excuse my brevity=2E
------VDRGRNI77RGBO3J0U85284C269CBUB

 A Drosehn &lt;drosih@rpi=2Eedu&gt; wrote:<blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote"=
 style=3D"margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0=2E8ex; border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204,=
 204); padding-left: 1ex;">
<pre class=3D"k9mail">We have some AFS volumes which hold data for various=
 web servers on<br />campus=2E  These volumes are replicated on multiple fi=
le servers,<br />because that's an intelligent thing to do with important d=
ata=2E<br /><br />We also have multiple web servers, because it's also inte=
lligent to<br />split the web-serving load across machines, and to have red=
ines on various VMware hypervisors=2E<br />While doing some benchmarks on n=
ew AFS file servers, I noticed that<br />AFS data is transferred much faste=
r if the afs client machine is on<br />the same hypervisor as the afs file =
server that it's contacting=2E<br /><br />Is there some way to encourage th=
is to happen on our web servers?<br />If the important AFS data is replicat=
ed on both afsfs1 (on vmhyper1)<br />and afsfs2 (on vmhyper2), can we have =
a web-server on vmhyper1<br />prefer afsfs1 instead of afsfs2?  I'd want it=
 to still use afsfs2<br />if it can't reach afsfs1 (for the case where vmhy=
per1 is fine, but<br />afsfs1 is being rebooted for some reason)=2E<br /><b=
-- <br>
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail=2E Please excuse my brevity=2E</=
body></html>
------VDRGRNI77RGBO3J0U85284C269CBUB--