[OpenAFS] Anyone still use the old 'vspace' script?

Garance A Drosehn drosih@rpi.edu
Mon, 26 Oct 2015 14:12:06 -0400

On 26 Oct 2015, at 13:45, Jeffrey Altman wrote:

> On 10/26/2015 1:37 PM, Garance A Drosehn wrote:
>>  [vspace]
>> The script I have is a combination of bourne-shell and awk code
>> (which is
>> geared for ancient versions of awk).  It includes a number of
>> RPI-specific
>> changes, most of which we haven't used in 15 years.  I have no idea
>> if the
>> unused parts still work, or if they even make sense.  Part of the
>> reason I
>> wanted to ask the list was to find whatever the current version was
>> (if
>> there is one), and add just the "good parts" of my changes to that
>> version.
>>
>> But if no one knows of the original version, I might clean up this
>> version
>> a bit more and make it available.  I'm also writing some other
>> afs-related
>> tools, and I'm going to need to rewrite "the good parts" of vspace
>> for that
>> project.  So it might be the rewritten version that will be released.
>>

> I suggest you look at Wes' "vos each" work which is sitting in Gerrit.
>
> http://gerrit.openafs.org/#change,10966
>
> Wes gave an excellent talk on the new command functionality at the
> workshop in Pittsburgh
>
> http://workshop.openafs.org/afsbpw15/talks/wednesday/nwf-vos-each.pdf

That looks very useful.  I don't think it would apply to 'vspace', but
it
would have been great to have had this when I started writing my tools.
Right now my tools are up over 4000 lines of code though, and I'm also
(currently) stuck with very old versions of OpenAFS on all our AFS
servers.
I'm using my tools to move volumes from ancient-OpenAFS to
modern-OpenAFS
file servers, and then I hope to upgrade our AFS db servers.

I definitely wish it had been possible for me to have made it to this
year's workshop in Pittsburg!  That just wasn't doable though, for a
variety of reasons.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn                =     drosih@rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer               or   gad@FreeBSD.org