[OpenAFS] Linux find command inconsistent

John Sopko sopko@cs.unc.edu
Tue, 15 Sep 2015 11:46:13 -0400

I run a monthly report to find all mount points and volumes using the
linux find command. I used to run this on Red Hat 5 for years. I moved
the script to Red Hat 6 and found after testing that on Red Hat 6 and
7 and Ubuntu 14.04 the find command give inconsistent results and does
not find nearly as many files as Red Hat 5 does.

I can copy the Red Hat 5 find binary to Red Hat 6 which executes ok
but still has a problem. I tried serveral client machines.

For example on Red Hat 5 I run a command to find all directories and count them:

% lsb_release -d

 |sopko@kramer:56% pwd
/afs/cs.unc.edu/project

% find . -noleaf -type d | wc -l
343403

On Red Hat 6 I get:

% lsb_release -d

 |sopko@lark1:81% pwd
/afs/cs.unc.edu/project

 |sopko@lark1:82% find . -noleaf -type d | wc -l
find: `./par/Last_Backup/Last_Backup': No such device
38763

I also like to use the find command to set afs acl's on directories
but can not trust it to work.

I am running 1.6.11 on the servers, 1.6.9 on the rhel5 client and
1.6.11 on the rhel6 client and 1.6.14 on Ubuntu. Can anyone shed any
light on what is going on?

--
John W. Sopko Jr.
University of North Carolina